As you all know, I can never sit still. Not only do I move around at least once a month because of medical school, but I also have the bad case of the travel bug.
2016 has taken me to many new places, places I never thought I’d ever be able to see. Places I never had even imagined, meeting new friends for a lifetime and making of course unforgettable memories. I thought 2015 was going to be hard to beat, but 2016 raised the bar even higher. 2017, where will you take me this year?
Click here to see My 2015 year of travel.
All photos are from my Instagram.
1. Ended 2015 singing for the Pope at the Vatican, and so began 2016
2. Exploring the cold, cold Chicago with my newly-met relatives
3. Started my new life in a new medical school in a new city, Linköping, Sweden
So here is a somewhat recognizable silhouette of my photo on the water tower in Linköping, with my Instagram @fileea on the side with #linköpinglive! Thank you @visit_linkoping for choosing my photo and making my first month here definitely a memorable one! 😊 If anyone has/can get a clearer photo of the water tower please let me know 😂
4. Weekend escapade with friends to Tallinn, Estonia
5. As usual, I always seem to come back to Hong Kong
During my aimless walk around Hong Kong central, I notice a cute blonde guy holding a map doing the same in front of me. I continue walking and end up at Man Mo Temple. While exploring the temple, I notice the same guy taking photos in a corner. Now curious, on his way out, I decided to follow him a bit to see where he was going. I pass him and continue walking on the other side of the street. After a while, I look at the other side of the street and notice him walking directly parallel to me. I smiled, and turned to a side street of antiques. I reach a crossing by a main road and as I stop to turn around, I notice that he was directly behind me. We exchange smiles but unfortunately our eyes met for a final time, as the business of Hong Kong beckons one to always continue… If only I had the courage to say hi, perhaps I wouldn't be sitting all alone in Starbucks right now. I have 2h left here, maybe I'll see him again. But in a busy city like Hong Kong, one can only dream right? #solotravelatitsbest #manmotemple #hongkong #hk #solottravel #temple #samcation
6. Explored the country of my birth Philippines solo for the first time in my life
7. Oh, and I also learned how to surf in Baler, Philippines
If medschool fails I have a new plan B: retire to the beach with a surfboard and spread love to the world with my ukulele. Surfers are my new favourite type of people. 🌊🏄🏻 Photo and video creds to @lexyquevedo 😁✌🏽️#surfsup #philippines #balersurfschool #itsmorefuninthephilippines #waves #aurora #surf #surfing #baler
8. …and celebrated 20+ years of friendship with my childhood best friend Chy in Bohol, Philippines 🙂
9. Celebrated my sister’s 25th birthday in Iceland
10. Met the Pope together with 2 million other Catholic youths during the World Youth Days in Krakow, Poland
11. …and met the Pope again during the Swedish Papal visit in Malmö
12. Getting lost in translation in Tokyo, Japan
13. Living the tropical paradise dream in Guam, USA
14. Where I really did make memories and connections worth a lifetime
Ending my stay in Guam on a high note. Thank you guys for showing me around and giving me a sample of the real Guamanian island life. Big thank you to Jesse for being my loyal chaperone all the way. You da real MVP. ✌🏽️Next stop Sweden yes? 😁👌🏽#aguecove #whenyourfriendsarehotaf #guam #🇬🇺 #whydoihavetoleave #cryinginside #youguysbettervisit
I knew 2015 was going to be hard to beat, but 2016 delivered. But now comes 2017, my final year in medical school (if all goes as planned). Even though I know I’ll have a tough final year ahead, I have a feeling I’ll still end up getting lost in translation in a new city or on another beach in another tropical paradise. Or well, I hope so anyway.
To kickstart my 2017 year of travel, New York, see you in less than two weeks! 😀